The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance is requiring all homeowners receiving a BASIC STAR exemption to register with the NYS Tax Dept. in order to receive the exemption in 2014 and subsequent years. Generally, the STAR tax exemption will save homeowners between $600 and $1200 per year on their property taxes. If homeowners do not register with the Tax Department by December 31, 2013, they will see their taxes increase.
- Basic STAR Tax Exemption Requirements:
- Combined income of homeowner and spouse must be less than $500,000 per year.
- Can only be applied to one residence (primary home).
For 2014 STAR Tax Exemption, homeowner MUST register online Here or by calling (518) 457-2036 before the December 31, 2013 Deadline.
As a result:
- Homeowners will NOT have to register in order to receive their 2013 STAR exemptions.
- Homeowners will NOT have to RE-register every year. Based on information provided in the registration process, the Tax Dept. will monitor homeowners’ eligibility in future years.
Registration started on August 19, 2013 and will continue through December 31, 2013.
(Homeowners MUST register before December 31, 2013 to receive STAR tax exemption)
Note: NYSSPE facilitates posting on this blog, but the views and accounts expressed herein are those of the author(s) and not the views or accounts of NYSSPE, its officers or directors whose views and accounts may or may not be similar or identical. NYSSPE, its officers and directors do not express any opinion regarding any product or service by virtue of reference to such product or service in this blog.